XAMPP comes with MercuryMail. To use it for sending test mails, you can do the followings:
1. Start Mercury Mail from XAMPP control panel.
2. Navigate to Mercury Mail folder in XAMPP installation (Most probably C:\Program Files\xampp\MercuryMail)
3. Double click on mercury.exe and Mercury window will be opened.
4. Go to Configuration -> Local Users
5. Add a user with password (Suppose sajjad)
6. Close this window.
Now you can send mail to sajjad@localhost or firstname.lastname@example.org (Mecury Mail should be started).
To receive mail configure outlook express with localhost as pop3 and SMTP server.
Hope these information will be helpful.
When I started coding in PHP, the main hassle was preparing the development environment. Installing Apache, PHP, MySQL was not so easy. Then I came across PHPTried and after that WAMPP. But finally I got what I wanted – XAMPP. To me XAMPP is a total PHP development environment.
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start.
To get a copy of XAMPP, visit http://www.apachefriends.org/.